Rolling Hills Community Church started over 40 years ago with a few young families and a dream. From the beginning, God had a plan for our faith family and what Rolling Hills would become. We continue to trust His vision for our church and hope you will join us on the journey!
WHO WE ARE
Rolling Hills is a group of diverse people united in our commitment to reaching the world one person at a time, as we learn to think, love, and live like Jesus, and reproduce that in the lives of others.
We seek to be in real community together, where it’s safe to be known and walk alongside each other as we pursue Jesus. When we are in genuine relationships with others who are being guided by Jesus, as revealed in the Bible, God transforms us. He takes what is broken in us and makes it whole. As we experience our own loving relationship with God, our heart for the needs of others cannot remain indifferent. As a faith family, we are motivated to move toward the people and needs in our community with love and compassion.
We believe God is at work in us, as well as through us, to positively impact our community, region, and world.
GOD’S STORY THROUGH ROLLING HILLS
Over 40 years ago a few young families felt called by God to start a church. God gave this group of people a vision that Rolling Hills Community Church would be a place where men, women and children would find salvation in Jesus Christ and be led to grow in Christian maturity. A place where they could find the life mission for which God had created them. Here are some highlights over the past four decades of how God’s story has developed through Rolling Hills.
- Five families felt called by God to start a church in Southwest Portland. Dale Ebel, one of the founding members, was commissioned as the first teaching pastor.
- Established home-based Community Groups as a way to connect and grow.
- The first global partner was supported as the church sought to make a global impact for God.
- God’s provision allowed the purchase of land on Borland Road and the completion of the first building.
- Hired a full-time children’s pastor, full-time youth pastor and youth ministry intern, Bill Towne. This took faith since the church was still small, but
directionfrom God made it clear to make families a priority.
- God’s continued provision led to the expansion of the building to accommodate huge growth, especially in student and children’s ministry.
- Through God, youth led the way in building energy for foreign missions, to allow Rolling Hills to make a bigger impact on reaching the world. This resulted in the first of many short-term adult mission trips.
- A new focus was developed to create an “unchurched” friendly environment through less formal gatherings, contemporary music
andintentional community outreach events, praying that God would bring people from the north, south, east and west.
- The new portion of the church building opened. Funds were continuing to be raised as they sought God to cast
visionfor what the spacewould become.
- The Wholeness Ministry was founded as God called the church to focus on ministering to those with emotional hurts and needs.
- God directed and built a passion in the people of Rolling Hills to begin focusing on impacting the city.
- Pastor Dale Ebel retired and Bill Towne was commissioned as second lead pastor of Rolling Hills. God showed miraculous sustaining power through the transition of change.
- God created
newvision for the use of the building and put the desire to love the least of these in our hearts. The basement level became the Community Life Center and the Tualatin School House Pantry moved in.
- Established Global Areas of Focus as God opened doors and showed needs in Nicaragua and Serbia.
- The Community Life Center continued to grow through new ministries — Hope’s Table, Borland Free Clinic, Divine Threads, English Language Learning, Severe Weather Shelter, NW Children’s Outreach — serving hundreds of people in our community every week.
- Continuing to use our faith family to impact the world, God led us to add Albania as a new Global Area of Focus.
- God’s story is still being written through you.